Saturday, December 4, 2010

Warrior Don't Cry Blog Part One

I have chosen to read the book, Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals. Before I got this book, I did not know what this book was about. I later found out, after receiving the book that it was a bout a girl and her eight friends going through a period in time where segregation existed and they were the first black children to integrate schools. They were later called the Little Rock Nine. I really like reading this book, I am always eager to learn what my people went through to get the privileges I have now.

In class, in my book group some of the things that we discussed were, about Grandma India; the way they depend on the lord in everything they do. I asked a question about if the anyone in the group thinks that if Grandma India was in Africa would she believe in God (be a Christian), or if she would believe in Allah (be a Muslim). The response that I got back was that they think she would be Muslim because the white people are the ones who introduced Christianity to them. Regina said that if the whites would not have captured and enslaved the Africans then they would not have converted them to Christianity and they would depend on Allah instead of God. She also said that the reason so many blacks in present days are Christain are because the whites converted our people to Christians and that is what our people have been doing ever since slavery.

We also discussed how different Melba's(the main character) life was now that she was integrating the white school. We said that she just wanted to be a normal kid. She felt as if she was doing the correct thing. The Little Rock Nine all had parents who pushed them, all of their parents were considered in the high class of the black community. Melba's mother is a school teacher, and unlike today teachers were of high class back in those times. Me and Gina said that the black people who did not agree with the integration of the school felt as if them being segregated from the whites was as high as they could go. They felt as if because this life that they were living was so much better then slavery this is as far as they could ever go. But the people who believed this was good knew that it could only get better and the kids integrating the schools was a great step forward in being equal to the whites.

I am really enjoying reading this book. To be honest I have read ahead then I should have but I just had to know what would happen next. I do not real a lot of true stories but this one in particular is very interesting and I love it. I can't wait to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment